Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Culinary Throwdown: Pepperoni
Kymmie was the winner of the Last throw down challenge. As the winner she gets to choose food for the next challenge. She chose pepperoni, I know I know, at least she didn't choose "Beets the rematch".
Anyway, here we go, a little background information first.

Pepperoni is a spicy Italian-American variety of salami made from cured pork
The term pepperoni is a corruption of peperoni, the plural of peperone, the Italian word for capsicum.Throughout continental Europe, peperone is a common word for various types of capsicum including bell peppers and a small, spicy and often pickled pepper known as peperoncino or peperone piccante in Italy and pepperoncini or banana peppers in the U.S.
Sodium nitrite, used as a curing agent, is what gives pepperoni its distinct orange-pink color. Sodium nitrate is also used as an ingredient in fertilizers, pyrotechnics,as an ingredient in smoke bombs, and as a solid rocket propellant. It's no wonder one feels like exploding after Peperoni pizza.

This recipe first came from a Sue Grafton Book. The original uses only salami, for this challenge we added Pepperoni into the mix. This added a very interesting twist to a dinner that we enjoy, that is quick and easy to prepare.

Pepperoni and Egg sandwich

Ingredients:
1 Portuguese or Kaiser roll
4 Slices of Pepperoni
4 Slices of Salami
3 slices of Monterey jack pepper cheese
1 Egg
Makes 1 sandwich

Directions:
Lightly toast the Portuguese roll (lightly butter if desired)
Place the salami and pepperoni on the bottom half of roll and put in a toaster oven
Add cheese to the top roll and return it to the toaster oven
While the cheese is melting, fry the egg over easy
Remove the roll from the toaster when the cheese is melted and top with the egg and serve

You can see the large peperoni under the egg. Some folks may have issues with undercooked eggs, but over easy is part of the fun of this sandwich.

22 comments:

Buzz Kill said...

I make egg, ham and cheese sandwiches all the time but never thought to use pepperoni and I'll bet it worked out nice. I generally like my eggs over easy but not in a sandwich - too messy for me. That's a lot of info on pepperoni that I was probably better off not knowing. Bwahahaha

Beautiful kitchen with windows and a lobster tank. Nice.

Pam said...

That sandwich looks divine but I'm in love with your kitchen. Tell wife she did a great job on the design!

Heff said...

A little history lesson was a nice touch, and the egg dish ? UNIQUE.

moi said...

Wow, terrific dish! I'm over easy all the way, too. Dipping is where it's at. And your kitchen is spectacular. Beautifully done. But, do you live on a . . . boat?

h said...

Nice dish. I'd rather have a good view from kitchen/dining room than the more common bedroom/living room options. But maybe your house is set up for good views from everywhere.

BlazngScarlet said...

Good Morning Karl!

I LOVE your kitchen!
I have serious kitchen envy now! lol

Jenny said...

Fabulous idea and can I have your kitchen? I love it. I'm a big fan of white kitchens and appliances and I think it's just fabulous. Love the blue pottery.

Jenny said...

Good question from Moi... do you live on a boat?

chickory said...

nice view from the kitchen! and i love the kitchen -very clean. you always do a nice job os styling your food. but i cant roll with peperoni now that you told me what makes it orange. yuck.

good luck!

Joanna Cake said...

Yup, I do egg and ham or egg and bacon sarnies with runny eggs and sodabread. Absolutely yummy! And yet another wonderful kitchen :)

Aunty Belle said...

Wow--lovin' the pepperoni history--an does ya live on a house boat?? Looks like youse right on the water!

Yore sandwich sounds lip smackin' good. Nice job the Mrs. done too.

Karl said...

Buzz Kill: It does, it's better with just salami but tasty either way. The yolk spreading over the sandwich blends all the flavors and using a Portuguese roll helped contain the mess.

Thanks, I really like fresh seafood.

Pam: I love it too and believe me I've told her several times.


Heff: Thank you sir.

Moi: The mess can be half the fun. Thank you, a bit of a challenge to put together, we like it. We live on the water, you can see the bow of the sailboat tied up outside first window.

Troll: I built it with views in mind. I once captained a boat that was configured so that when I sat up in my bunk I could see 180° if I stood up I could fill in the rest of the circle and see the helmsman veiw. she was one of the best vessels I've served on. And So when I built a replicated that veiw.

Blazng Scarlet: Thank you.

Boxer: Mmm no, you can't have it. You might be able to talk me into coming out there and building one for you. I'm cheap labor, the design service from the Mrs. That will cost you. Just ask Buzz about billable hours;)

Chickory: thank you sorry about the reality check.

I read about your chicken today. May I ask why?

Joanna: Sounds tasty. How about a shot of your kitchen?

Aunty Belle: Yes it's right on the water. I'm so happy to see you around. I'm hoping things are calming down in your world

Kymical Reactions said...

Karl! Thanks for the history of pepperoni. It makes me want to find out where all sorts of food comes from.

Now, this sandwich? Holy cow, it looks delicious. Did you like it with the pepperoni addition? This is the most unique dish I've seen so far.

And your kitchen is lovely. I love the light from those windows, and I bet the view is beautiful!

Karl said...

Kym: You're welcome. Knowing one's history prevents one from making recurring mistakes.

No not Cow, I believe it's pork.(That's suppose to be a joke) It is delicious and the pepperoni gave it a unique flavor.

In the first picture my laptop kind of messes up shot. If I'm at home that's where I sit so I can look out the windows. I can tell you, it's bloody hard getting any work done there.

Kymical Reactions said...

Karl, I've finally picked a throwdown winner. stop on by when you get a chance. :)

chickory said...

Karl; about the hen, her uterus came out of her body and the muscle was shot. i tried to push it back it but it wouldnt hold. she was suffering and the risk of infection was great.

stop by the chickory soon - theres good news.

LaDivaCucina said...

Dem eggs look fabulosa, don't let anyone tell you different! I love how you always pair your dishes with a lovely, healthy side, like green beans!

What is this kitchen everyone is talking about? I see no kitchen photos?

LaDivaCucina said...

By the way, most cured meats contain sodium nitrate. Your bacon, your ham and salami.

rage said...

Wow, I never knew all of that about pepperoni. Just ate some pepperoni on a sub sandwich. Good stuff.

Is this contest closed for the pepperoni submissions or is there still time?

Karl said...

Chickory: Did you get my email?

LaDiva: Thank you. Any meal should be just that, a meal.

I took the pictures down. If you really want to see them let me know and I'll put them back up for bit.

By the way is there any truth to the rumor there are topless Diva pictures from Australia? I'll trade;)

I know about the sodium nitrate, in other foods. I put it in that way for presentation.

Kitty: Sorry it's closed. Heff and Donna won. If you want, I'll let you know when the next one comes up.

rage said...

That would be great Karl. Thanks!

LaDivaCucina said...

Haha! karl, you are funny! Nah, don't worry about the kitchen photos, I can imagine how nice your kitchen must be right on the water! (but scary during hurricane season?!)

No topless photos I'm afraid! Tried to do that in my younger days and scared the bejesus out of an ol' man. It wasn't pretty to see his tongue on the floor. :)